Skip to content
- 3 pounds flour
- 2 pounds butter
- 1 pound water
- 2TB salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ½ pounds apples, peeled and cored, then cut into wedges (5 large Honeycrisps will do it)
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- To make the dough, dice the butter and gently combine it with the water and flour until a dough forms.
- Chill for 1 hour, roll it out and line a pie tin
- Fill the dough with pie weights and blind bake at 375°F for 6 Minutes
- For the filling: Melt the butter in a large saute pan and add apples to the pan.
- Stir to coat fruit with butter and cook, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the spices, salt and stir to combine.
- Lower heat and cook until apples have started to soften, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour and cornstarch over the apples and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, add cider vinegar, stir and scrape fruit mixture into a bowl and allow to cool completely.
- Add the filling to the pie crust and cover with remaining dough.
- Press the edges together, trim the excess, then crimp the edges with the tines of a fork. Using a sharp knife, cut t four steam vents in the top of the crust.
- Lightly brush the top of the pie with egg wash.
- Place pie in the oven and bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes.